March 22, 2017 / 4:51 pm

Attacks in Westminster: What We Know

An attack Wednesday afternoon at several locations around London’s Houses of Parliament left several critically wounded.  Latest reports list the number killed as four, including the suspected attacker, though information is as yet unclear.

Videos of the attack show pedestrians running, being ordered by police to get to cover and clear the area.

A car, at first reported to have been driven by two suspects, hit multiple people on Westminster Bridge.  One victim was confirmed dead at the scene.  The car then hit the railing near the end of the bridge, apparently hitting more people.  After reports of bodies in the water, a woman was pulled from the Thames River and was treated for severe injuries.

Ambulance crews arrived on scene to treat wounded pedestrians, reporting injuries which ranged from minor to “catastrophic,” according to BBC.  As many as 12 were taken for treatment at local hospitals in the Westminster borough.

A police officer was then stabbed near Parliament, and his attacker was shot by plain-clothes police officers.  The officer later died on scene; the suspected attacker was being treated by emergency workers and reportedly also died of his injuries.

Gunshots were heard around Westminster, and the Houses of Parliament were locked down and the day’s session adjourned.  People in nearby buildings were instructed to stay inside, and those on the street were ordered to clear the scene.  Across the Thames, the London Eye was halted and also locked down with people still in each car.

As the news broke, the debate on the upcoming Scottish independence referendum was pushed back by Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, who tweeted her condolences to those injured.  The Welsh Assembly was adjourned, as well.

Prime Minister Theresa May was reported to have been safely evacuated to 10 Downing Street.  She later left Downing Street for an emergency meeting of ministers to address the situation, and ordered flags to be flown at half-mast.

President Trump has reportedly been briefed on the situation, according to a tweet by Press Secretary Sean Spicer.  Spicer later condemned that attacks and announced the UK had “full support” of the US government moving forward.

The Met Police released a statement calling the attack a terrorist incident, and said there was an ongoing investigation.  As of latest reports they believe a single suspect was responsible, who had been shot and killed by police.

The area was cordoned off and the public was ordered to stay away as ambulances and further police officers arrived on scene to continue the investigation.  The lockdown on Parliament ended several hours later, but the borough is still on high alert.