Are you born before 1995 want to feel old?
You probably don’t, but too late you’re already reading this.
Are you born after 1995 and want to make your older siblings/friends feel old? Awesome, you’re in the right place. We may be ringing in 2015, but I’d like to take you back in time 20 years to 1995. If you have forgotten what happened in 1995 – or like me happened to only be 1 years old and don’t remember it at all – don’t worry! I’ve compiled a list of some of the things that will make see how long ago 1995 really was.
- The American government stops funding the NSFNET, making the Internet a completely privatized system.
- The DVD, a disc computer storage media format, is announced.
- The first Toy Story came out.
- Yahoo! was founded.
- Mississippi finally ratifies the Thirteenth Amendment, becoming the last state in America to approve the abolition of slavery. It was nationally ratified in 1865.
- Oasis’s album (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? was released.
- So was Smashing Pumpkin’s Mellon Collie and the Infinite.
- And Radiohead’s The Bends.
But if you really want to feel how far we have come in the last 20 years, watch this Windows ’95 video guild that starts off with a “Cyber Sitcom” featuring Matthew Perry and Jennifer Aniston who had at that point had just finished their first season of freinds.